Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mama's got a brand new bag!

We have both been looking for some new things to make. We are always looking for new designs, new patterns, fun colors, and pretty fabrics. We found this latest one in the book Sew Simple.


This book is filled with lots of simple, yet cute patterns for everyday living. There are easy home decor patterns as well as patterns for accessories and gifts. I think what I like best about the book is that the patterns are easy to follow, but the final product doesn't necessarily look too simple.



The first pattern I made was the Sling Bag, which is pictured on the back cover of the book. The bag was not too difficult to make, although I had to re-read the directions several times to make sure I understood the construction of the bag. I have become so used to tote bag construction. It is very similar to a Martha Stewart pattern that you can find on her website. Martha's bag is a simple and functional, unlined bag using a pillow case.

The Sew Simple bag is trimmed, lined and complete with pockets. I chose a pretty aqua and brown fabric for the outside of my bag, and a summery white with aqua and brown flowers as a lining material. The two complement each other nicely. I followed the instructions for using ric-rac as a trim. Chocolate brown ric-rac seemed to make a nice accent. Instead of using fabric covered buttons, I found some painted ones in coordinating colors and fun designs.

The bag is quite a bit bigger than I would use for a purse. But I would use it as a tote or market bag. I may try to scale the next one I make down a bit and add an interior snap, for every day use.

My next project will be the striped pot holders. I will let you know how those turn out, too. I guess I do still make things, I just haven't blogged about it in a while.