Monday, October 15, 2007

Re-Purpose, Re-Use, Re-Cycle, Reflect

Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.

~John Muir
I learned from my blog-friend Rick that today is Blog Action Day. What, I asked myself, is Blog Action Day? After following the links Rick provided, I discovered that today is a day for all bloggers to unite in a discussion about the environment.

Whether you are a "tree-hugger" or not; whether, you recycle your soda cans, or not; whether you buy organic, or not; we are all on this earth together. We all co-exist. It is a good idea to reflect on our impact on the world, large and small, around us.

The Changing Face of Colorado

The Colorado forests are under attack. The Mountain Pine Beetle has infested much of Rocky Mountain National Park as well many of the forests in the Western United States. These insects attack several varieties of pine trees, notably ponderosa, lodgepole, Scotch and limber pine. This infestation will have a lasting, significant impact on the face of Colorado. These little critters will kill hundreds, upon thousands of trees. In the photo, I took this summer, you can see the number of brown (read "dead") trees out number the healthy, green trees.


This, however, is a natural occurrence. What can I do about it? There isn't a lot I can do about this insect nuisance. But we, as people, seem to compound the problem. We cause forest fires. We use de-icers to clear our roads that make the soil uninhabitable. We build and build and build. Perhaps we should be thoughtful in the choices we make.


Unfortunately, I have no solution. Only reflection. And a wish that we are all careful with this irreplaceable earth.


In my small world, I will respond by re-purposing when I can. I will support artists and crafts people who recycle. And I will reflect on what good I see around me.


In my part, today, I hope I have joined the cause set forth by the folks at Blog Action Day.


It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.


~Robert Louis Stevenson