Thursday, April 12, 2007

Don Quixote

The other day I was writing about windmills. I couldn't think of the fabulous musical that I had taken my students to that had the great windmill icon. I called Kerry, she was not available. I called my friend Lisa, she was not home either. So I ended my blog with the great Bob Dylan lyric, "The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind."

(Bear with me, there will be a connection) Today I have been thinking about the old adage about having all of your eggs in one basket. (Or, don't count your chickens before they've hatched.) This has been pertinent in my life because Kerry and I have been trying to diversify our business. We have found that no one retail (or consignment) outlet is the end all, be all. There is no website that is the panacea for our art/business. This year is about expanding.

It is frustrating when you feel that you are doing all the right things to move down your chosen path, and you still feel you are not progressing. But, I guess that can happen when there are outside factors that effect your progress.

So, tonight while I was thinking of having all my eggs in one basket, I googled it. (Kerry already told you about my googling habit :) ). And what should I find, but a quote form Don Quixote! Just what I was trying to think of the other day! I guess life always comes full circle; sometimes it happens more quickly than other times.

"It is the part of a wise man to keep himself to-day for to-morrow, and not to venture all his eggs in one basket." --Don Quixote. Part i. Book. iii. Chap. ix--Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Maybe Don Quixote was trying to send me a message... windmills are good, and be wise to diversify! Take what you will from it. I guess for me, it is just one of life's small ironies. Another lesson that I will have to learn and relearn over and over.

Both Dylan and Cervantes were both correct. The answer eludes, even the wise man. It always keeps us guessing.