Thursday, June 26, 2008

Inch by Inch

I have started a new project. Not that I need a new project, but I started one. Maybe it came from my summertime frustration of not having enough personal time to be creative; maybe it stemmed from my long time fascination with them; maybe it was the recent article in Somerset Studio Magazine that pushed me over the edge.
I started to make inchies. Inchies? you may say. What are inchies? Inchies are 1" x 1" collages of any topic, theme or design. I guess they are sort of a miniature ATC. They can be traded, collected or made into mosaics. They can, very clearly, become an obsession.
I have been fascinated with the inchies that Lia has posted in her blog Art Junk Girl. The miniature nature of them is enticing and challenging at the same time. The possibilities are endless. When I read the article in our recent copy of Somerset Studios, I decided to give them a try.
First, I got out some nice, heavy paper and painted a watercolor wash. Then, I started cutting. We don't have a 1" square punch, so I used the paper cutter. Some of my inchies, I must confess, may be a little bigger, or smaller than a true inch.

I started creating the miniature collages right away. I love the collage process. The quantity and variety of collage materials that Kerry and I have collected since we opened the studio is really wonderful to work with.

My observations after my first inchies experience:

  • I work well in an "assembly line" style. I cut a bunch of inchies, and worked on general backgrounds for lots of them, without any actual image on them right away. That method my not have the most artistic integrity, but it seems to work well for me.

  • I am drawn to a thematic approach with the inchies; working on "women" or "fruit" or "men" as a group.

  • I can finish one inchie in a short amount of time, which is absolutely necessary with the kids on summer vacation. I am always interrupted!

  • I have no idea what to do with them! I like them, but what are they for--it brings me back to my old and personal dilema of form versus function.

Well, one small art project started in this summer filled with kids and interruptions. I have a few questions for you: What should I do with the inchies? How do you cope with summertime and kids at home?