Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Birdie Update

I don't know how many of you have been reading our blog since last spring. Boy, I don't know if anyone is reading our blog at all...but I will save that for another post. ;)


But if you were reading posts last spring, you may remember my post about the series of nests that the robin built on my front porch. She built four nests, and then choose to occupy one to hatch her little chicks. (Is that the human equivalent of redecorating and then changing your mind, three times?!? Or maybe that's why they call mother's instinct "nesting")

We were fortunate enough to be able to watch all the nest building, the egg sitting, and the worm feeding last spring. We never removed the nests from the rafters of our porch.




This year I noticed some new activity on the porch. One of the nests, the same one the robin used, is occupied. These new tenants are tiny birds, maybe sparrows or finches. They are very shy. We have seen the tiny beaks poking up from the nest and we have seen the flutter of mom or dad to and fro. We aren't sure what type of bird, and they are too shy for a photo session. If you look really closely, at the back of the nest, you can see one of the new tenants. Any idea what kind of bird it is?

I guess leaving the nest intact, in their original spot has paid off. Now we have a set of birdie "condos." Who knows, maybe we can start to charge rent!
Update: June 20 - Last night I noticed a family of birds living in the nest second from the left. I looks like another family of finches or chickadees. Wow! I really should charge rent.