Thursday, June 5, 2008

Heart to Heart

This week I received a note telling me that someone I had met had passed away. I had only met him once. He was an older gentleman of 81 years. He had 5 daughters, 17 grandchildren, and 5 great-grandchildren. His wife said that he died at home with no pain. If only we could all be so lucky.

Nevertheless, the note cut me to the quick. This gentleman, for the past 9 1/2 years held my mom's heart in his chest. After she died, in 1998, we honored her wishes and donated as many of her organs and body parts as we could. It is not something I talk about much.

I was somehow comforted knowing that her heart still beat, somewhere. I am happy to know that her heart gave that man and his family more than 9 years of togetherness. I am sad, knowing it has finally stopped.

For more information about organ donation contact the Donor Alliance or the donor organization in your area.