Sunday, January 13, 2008

Happy Discovery

We had guests at our house from January 2 - 9. My dad, step-mom and Grandmother came to spend a week with us and see the girls. We had a great time, ate too much as you do when there are guests in town, but we all had a good time.
Having company is a good excuse to play tourist in your own town. I had heard a bit about the Leanin' Tree Museum of Western Art, but had never been for a visit. I guess I pegged it for a Cowboy Museum, or perhaps a lure to get people to the Leanin' Tree Card Company Store. It was nothing of the sort. It is a shame that I hadn't been before now. It is a fabulous place to visit.
They had a wonderful collection of Western Art. It certainly is a niche museum, focusing on Cowboy paintings, Western landscapes and Russell - style bronzes. But, one of my favorite displays was a series of Fritz Scholder paintings depicting Native Americans (sample above).
In addition to the two levels of galleries, the museum has a wonderful outdoor sculpture garden. We enjoyed the larger-than-life sculptures of wildlife and western icons.
While a museum filled with Cowboys may not appeal to everyone, I felt the quality of the art and the diversity represented within the niche was appealing and interesting to most. Our little group, ranging from age 6 - 90 enjoyed our time there.
So, if you are in North East Boulder anytime soon, add the museum to your list of stops. (Oh, did I mention it was free--can't beat that!)